Thursday, July 30, 2026

A Breillat Rarity Debuts On Disc: The Satin Spider!

Wow, it has been ages since I've been able to scratch a title off my "DVDs Still M.I.A." list, but I did today!  United States cult film distributor Mondo Macabro Films has announced, and started pre-orders for, 80's thriller The Satin Spider (L'Araignée de satin), which I've previously covered here.  As I said then, this is a film Breillat wrote but did not direct, based on a play from the 1920s.  Previously, this film had only ever been released on VHS, and never in the US, but now it's getting an official American blu-ray, freshly restored from the original camera negatives!  Special features are said to include a retrospective with "crew and critics" (including Breillat??) and a featurette overlooking the director's career.  The initial limited edition run of 1,000 individually numbered copies will also include a 20-page booklet, reversible artwork and a cool red case.  They say shipping should begin by the end of August, so not too far off.

No comments: